Monday, February 16, 2009

I AMsterdam: Day One







I got back from Amsterdam late last night. It was nice there, but way more touristy than I had expected. I didn't hear much Dutch, and the Red Light District was way less scandalous than I had anticipated (not to say it wasn't scandalous). Anyway, in order to get there and back, we drove through France and Belgium and stopped in both so that was nice. I ate Belgian chocolate and waffles in Belgium and really don't see the need to go back, for the cities from the highway didn't look that great. Plus I don't actually have money to go back.
Back to Amsterdam, we got there around 9 am on Friday morning and went to breakfast. I had this great pancake. It was so gigantic and had whipped cream on it. Afterwards, we went to the Anne Frank house which was a very comprehensive and I thought well designed museum. It was neat because I've always had an interest in WWII. This undoubtedly put a bit of a damper on the day, but I'm still glad I went. Oh yeah, it ended up snowing the first morning we were there! After this, we went to the Heineken tour and this was really cool. It was like 15 Euro to get in but I thought it was worth it because it was cool (I'll post pictures of all of this by the way).
We ate at some Indonesian restaurant for dinner and then went to the Red Light District. It was okay, silly and funny, but I was expecting this crazy place where people were madly having sex everywhere and it wasn't like that. It was sketchy but I mean if you're going to get a prostitute, that seems the place to do it. Afterwards we went walked home and walked to this place where I got a dutch donut which was good. It was kind of like a carnival.
One of the weird things about Amsterdam is that the tram (train, metro, whatever you want to call it) runs straight through the road with like no sidewalk. You could easily get run over by it if you don't know what your doing. Oh, Also, EVERYONE and their mom rides bicycles. EVERYONE. So between the cars, bikes, and trams, you are dodging traffic every minute.
And that was day one. Hopefully day two will come later today!
I also have this idea where I keep thinking I see people I know. EVERYWHERE. I am going to look into this because there has to be some sociological/pyschological explanation for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment