Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Look as us in the sparkling Eiffel Tower!






















Okay this is going to be a big update. I went to Paris and Versailles this past weekend and saw lots of cool stuff. I'm going to post pictures and TRY to post some videos that I have but I don't know if the videos will work. Anyway, here's the breakdown of what went down:

Thursday: Take the train to London. Talked on my new borrowed Skype phone the whole time and it was great! I had like an hour long chat with Shannon, talked to Ang, Maureen, and Hiroki. So basically, the train ride went pretty quickly. Got to London, made my way to where I was staying, and met up with my friends. Went to sleep and woke up at 7 the next morning.

Friday: 7am. Left for King's Cross station and checked in with Arcadia. They gave us the tickets and whatnot and we got on the Eurostar to take the train to France. It's not as weird as you think to travel through the English Channel. It's just like going through a long tunnel that makes your ears pop a little. We arrived in Paris at about noon, and took a 3-hour bus tour with some French lady who was a B! We saw basically everything on the bus and it was sunny out so this was nice. Finally checking into the hotel at 4, we mosey around for a bit then hit the town! We took the metro everywhere, and it was fairly easy to navigate. We went to the Eiffel Tower, and mostly just walked around, got crepes, and planned our next day.
Saturday: 8am. Went to the Louvre, saw Mona, she wasn't that great. However, the ceiling art in the Louvre is fantastic. We spent about 3 hours in there and didn't even cover half of the place; it is massive. However, there is only so much museuming one can handle. So, we went to Notre Dame, sat for awhile, and went to this castle that is supposed to have the best free view in Paris. After climing eons of steps, we arrived at this view and it was pretty nice. It was some Chateau but I don't remember the name because French sounds so foreign to me and I couldn't understand anything. I should have paid better attention in 7th grade.
4pm. We went to the Arc de Triumphe (I don't even think I spelled that right, silly France), and went up to the top. This required 284 steps. That's a lot. Needless to say our legs were burning but it was a wonderful view and was nice because it's in the middle of Paris and you see all of the main roads coming out from it. When we went down there was some type of service with military guys all dressed so we watched that for a bit.
6pm. Afterwards, we went to the Champs de Elysees, because I wanted to walk on it. Did you know that the Ben Franklin Parkway was based of this road? We decided that dinner would be too much on this road and we took the metro to a random stop and found a Scottish Pub! Who would've thought! We ate there.
9pm. We decided to hustle to the Eiffel Tower and get on it when it sparkled and see it at night. The line really wasn't that long and we were up there for about an hour. It was so nice! It's a little scary because I don't really like heights but it was awesome. The view was spectacular and some people were getting engaged up there.
11pm. We needed to be on the metro by 11:30 to get it home in time because it stops at 12. We made the last one and went to bed.

Sunday: 8am. Up for another day of excitement. We went to Versailles and I ended up going to the Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon. All were beautiful and I really liked all of these places. Versailles is about a half hour or so outside of Paris and it was neat to see the France Suburbs on the train. They don't look like L-Town.
Left France at 8pm. and I managed my way to Oxford late that night. I basically spent the whole day laying around but I am still really tired today.
...And that's France!

1 comment:

  1. did you follow Jared's advice and eat lots of chocolate crepes?

    ReplyDelete